fresh subline

A Breath of Fresh Air in an Otherwise Stale Culture.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Vis Comm Updates and Revisions

Sooo, here are the latest updates on all the posters, layouts, spreads, and everything else we've been doing. The herpetology poster has given me some difficulties with coming up with text to support the imagery that I chose but I think that I got a pretty good concept this time. I also switched it to be a horizontal layout. I think it speaks for itself for the most part.


This is pretty much the finished final concept behind the jazz poster. The idea being that the treble clef is merely a void symbol until one experiences the sound associated with it. Again I would say this piece speaks mostly for itself.  



This is the final version of my Red Barn Arts Fair poster. I am really happy with how it turned out, simple in its imagery,  with a strong textual reinforcing concept. One of my favorite that I have done this semester. The text gave me some trouble over the whole development of the poster, as did the conceptual aspect, however I think I was just in a creative block (which I hope to hell I am finally getting out of.)



This is a revision on a magazine layout that we had to do. Layout has been tricky on this one since there has been considerably less text than before. I have noticed that I am really going with the  "keep it simple, stupid" approach on a lot of the work I have been turning out, trying not to clutter it with excess. I have drawn a lot of inspiration and techniques from advertising spreads and such. Its been helping. 



These are a series of posters we were asked to do for Native American Heritage Month. The concept behind these is that in most cultures, art is reflective of that cultures ideas, beliefs, customs, and traditions. Especially in Native American cultures, where the symbolism bears a lot of weight. Besides that I wanted to avoid indians, bows and arrows, dreamcatchers (even though seeing rusty toss his coffee of the Vis Comm floor could have been worth it), and the usual cliche imagery that comes to mind immediately when begining the initial design process. I feel that these posters are fairly unified, while each has its own dynamism to it. If they were to be displayed as an edition the wolf mask would be center with the blue and red masks pointing in their respective directions on either side, adding another visually unifying characteristic. I also  like how the heading font worked out, where it can be read as either straight across, or staggered. Simple strong imagery, with poignant, meaningful headings were a large driving factor in these posters. 












This is a another revision on a magazine layout that we had to do about how stress is chic now. I'm fairly satisfied with the imagery, layout, typesetting, and color scheme of this layout. It was definitely stronger than my other one we had to do. Some final tweaking and it will be ready to go I would assume (Rusty is merciless with his red pen, and our printing accounts.)




Yet another revision on a magazine layout. Bigger image, some re arranging of text blocks and such. Eh it's alright. Prolly won't go in the midterm folio however. Oh well. I'm sure there will be one or two more revisions of this before it's deemed as passing. 




That's about it. 
More revisions and designs to come, as always in this semester.